Monday, June 8, 2009

body image

What do girls see when they look at themselves in the mirror?
How about i critique myself and you nod along as you identify with some of these 'faults'? 

hmm. where do i start.
Acne scars. eye-rings, big nose, funny lookin baby hair around forehead.. smile is okay

half-decent neck. horribly broad swimmer shoulders that don't let me wear at least 75% of SG tops. 

wish i had bigger boobs :P 

some semblance of a waist. too much booty...too little booby(couldn't resist the rhyme!). 
ooh god don't get me started on those thighs. decent calves. bruised looking feet..calloused from dancing background. 

then what happens when we go out?
we dress our best, feel ready to set the world on fire after some major wardrobe shopping..
AND the first person you meet gives you a onceover. You pause for breath. Pls be nice, pls be nice pls be nice....
then they say 'You look "different" '
REALLY? What kind of different???, you ask.
"I think that top clings to you a bit too much" or "I don't think that color suits your skin" 
Oh boy. oh dear me. sun gets dimmer. smile fades away.

THEN you either paste a smile, scoff at the remark and tell em off (but still feel awful) right?
OR you can say - You know, i really like the top. I think the color does suit me. I respect your opinion, but its MY body. Its MY face. 
Unless i look like a giraffe wearing kaleidoscopic colours, who gives anybody except me the right to care? 

You might argue and say...hey i don't let anyone dictate how i must look or feel about my looks. 
face yourself in the mirror right NOW. what do you see? 
picture perfect or to work in progress? 

Well here's a question: How about saying I look great. 
Enough dipshits out there have SOMETHING to critique me for. I will not do the same. I'm a real-life heroine, fictional superheroine, a hot mama, warrior princess, girl next door, samba crazy girl..whatever you are...discover your REAL identity and let that shine. Once you know truly, who you are, your beauty will shine beyond anything and anyone. 

So now i look into the mirror again. Take Two.
Babyhair? cute :) eyebags? so i have deep-set eyes, that aint bad and i have honey-brown irises to follow. smaller boobs? so i have more breathing space :) big nose? no, sharp, elegant nose. AND full luscious lips :)
too much booty? there's never too much of a good thing! decent calves? beautifully defined by years of gym, yoga and dance. bruised feet? bruised and callous, yes. but i can walk. and after life-changing accidents, after being told repeatedly FORGET about walking again.. those feet are beautiful to me :) do i sound cocky? well don't you want to appreciate what a miracle you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment